What started in America over 40 years ago is now a worldwide civic observance in celebration of the environment and our connection to it. April 22 marks Earth Day, and here at Kraft & Jute, we’re proud to be ambassadors for a more sustainable, greener planet. After all, everything we create is naturally inspired, and most of our products can be recycled at the end of their useful lifetime. Our entire corrugated line of packaging is made from recycled materials, and any waste from product development is either reused, shredded for packing material, or donated to a local school for art class. One of our favorite product lines uses reclaimed barn wood to create packaging and photo props that offer new life to old trees. It makes us all warm and fuzzy inside when we choose to do the right thing.
As a photographer, you too can strive to be greener in your business. Here are some tips:
- Unplug camera chargers after batteries reach a full charge.
- Turn off and unplug studio lighting and other gear when not in use.
- Refrain from printing every client email communication.
- Encourage clients to only print the images they definitely want to have on display.
- Recycle your ink cartridges.
- Schedule client meetings back to back to minimize time spent in your office space using electricity.
- Bundle errands to minimize fuel consumption driving to and from your studio.
- Recycle your e-waste (digital cameras, iPads, computers, printers, GPS units, and other consumer electronics).
- Leave nature’s gifts in nature (don’t take wood, shells, plants, flowers from your nature shots home with you).
- Choose products and vendors that also support the environment.
Don’t forget to let your clients know how they can recycle or reuse the packaging in which you deliver their images. Check back with us soon for another blog posting that shares ideas of additional uses of your Kraft & Jute packaging.
How are you honoring our planet this Earth Day? Let us know in the comments below!